Thursday, October 10, 2013

Book Recommendation: Divergent

   
      I highly recommend reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. This story takes place in a futuristic version of Chicago. There are very different factions who each think they are right. Dauntless think bravery is the key to a strong society, Erudite obsesses over knowledge, Abnegation is pro-self-sacrifice, Amity believes in kindness and friendship, and Candor is into always telling the truth. The main character, Beatrice Prior, grew up in the Abnegation faction. At the age of 16, citizens get to choose a faction and will stay in that faction for the rest of their lives. After choosing a faction you must go through a faction initiation, if you fail the initiation you get kicked out and end up faction-less or homeless. If you manage to pass the initiation you will get to join the faction and spend the rest of your life in that faction. The easiest initiation to pass is Abnegation, and the toughest is Dauntless. This picture shows the 5 factions emblems and the old, warned out city of Chicago in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Jonathan I like your summary of the book "Divergent." I think you gave me a very good summary of it and you didnt reveal much about the book. After reading your book recommendation I might want to read the book. It looks really interesting and cool. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan, I really liked your book recommendation of "Divergent." You did good at not revealing too much information but gave a good summary for the reader. I think it would be cool to read this book to see how people get into factions and what life is like in the future city of Chicago. I heard that this book is very good and many people recommend it so I might consider reading it. I also found out there are more books in the series so if I read it the story would continue through the other books. Awesome job, this summary reveals very little and is very engrossing.

    ReplyDelete